Family reunions are a great time to get together and have some fun. However, they can also be a bit stressful. After all, you want to make sure that everyone has a good time. One way to do this is to plan some fun family reunion games. This will help to break the ice and get everyone involved in the festivities.
There are several different games that you can set up for adults. For example, a scavenger hunt with clues that only make sense to people who know the family history. Or you could have a contest to see who can come up with the most creative way to use a family photo.
Family reunion games can provide a way to get better acquainted and connected and help deepen existing relationships. Whatever games you choose, make sure they’re fun and easy to follow. After all, the goal is to create lasting memories that will bring everyone closer together.
In this guide, I cover several games that will make your next family reunion one to remember. I also cover topics like:
- Best family reunion icebreaker games
- Best outdoor reunion games for adults
- Hilarious family reunion games
Let us get started.
5 Best Family Reunion Icebreaker Games
You want to make sure your family and relatives mingle with each other and get to learn about each other’s lives instead of wandering off by themselves. Below is a list of some cool icebreaker games. I have also included details like prepping time, time for actual gameplay, and items needed, if any.
Been There Done That
Prep time – 5 mins
Time to play – 30 minutes
Playing field – indoor/outdoor
Materials needed – enough chairs for participants
How to play
- Arrange the chairs in circles with one fewer chair than the number of participants.
- One person is IT and stands in the center of the circle. S/he has to tell something they have done or mention a place they have been to. For example, one could say, “I have been to the Grand Canyon.”
- Anyone who has not been to the Grand Canyon has to get up and exchange their chair with another participant. One rule – the person who has not been there/done that cannot exchange chairs to their either side – they must run and find other chairs vacated.
- The person who was IT gets an opportunity to find an empty chair for themself.
- The person left without a chair becomes the next IT.
Birdy on the Perch
This is a great game for couples.
Prep time – none
Time to play – 15-30 mins
Playing field – indoors/outdoors
Materials needed – none
How to play
- Have the men stand in a circle. Have their spouses/other women stand behind the men. The couples are now partners. If you have an uneven number of men/women, have someone sit out.
- Make someone the leader.
- To begin each round, have the women walk in the clockwise direction while the men start walking in the counter-clockwise or opposite direction.
- When the leader yells Birdy on the Perch, the men get down on all fours while the women must run back to their partner/spouse and sit on his back. The last woman left standing and her partner is out.
- Continue the game until one couple is left.
Seated Beach Ball
This is a fun game for young people as it involves high activity level.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Time to play – 30 to 45 minutes
Playing field: indoor/outdoor. If playing indoors, you need a large room.
Materials needed – beach ball/volleyball set, net
- String the net in the center of the room/outside.
- Drape a sheet over the net so the two teams cannot see each other.
How to play
- Divide guests into two teams and assign each group to one side of the net.
- Have the guests sit down facing the draped net.
- Play the game as regular volleyball, except players should remain seated at all times. Use the same rules of volleyball for scoring.
- Players must remain seated at all times. They may hit the ball as many times as needed.
- Have elderly family members/non-players return the out-of-bound balls.
- Play until one team reaches a score of 15. Then have them switch sides and play again.
- You can even rotate players to challenge the winning team.
Spin the Bottle
This is a classic icebreaker game.
Prep time – 10 minutes
Time to play – 15-30 mins
Playing field – indoors/outdoors
Materials needed – glass bottle, a bag, pieces of paper, and a pen.
How to play
- Write some forfeits on the paper pieces (notes) and place them in the bag
- Get guests to sit in a circle.
- Place the bottle in the center and have someone spin it.
- When it stops, whoever the bottle is pointing towards has to pick one paper piece/note from the bag.
- The note could award a prize, or the guest has to perform the forfeit, which could be telling a joke or singing a song.
We’re Not Really Strangers Card Game – an Interactive Adult Card Game and Icebreaker
If you just have adults at your reunion, this is a great card game to break the ice, get to know someone better, and even deepen existing relationships.
No. of players – 2 to 6 – ages, 12+
Prep time- none
Time of play- 30 minutes to 1 hour
There are two ways to play – play safe, and play to grow. It is a ‘get to know game – nothing inappropriate about it and a great way to deepen relationships.
- Family Feud: Family Feud is a classic game show that pits two teams against each other in a battle of wits. And what better way to get to know your relatives than by going head-to-head with them in friendly competition? This game is sure to get everyone laughing and having a good time.
- Name That Tune: This game is perfect for music lovers. Family members can team up and see how quickly they can name that tune. This game will surely get everyone singing along and having a great time.
- Guess Who?: This guessing game is perfect for getting everyone talking. Family members can take turns asking questions about themselves, and the rest of the group has to guess who they are. This game will create some laughs and help everyone get to know each other better.
- Family History Trivia: This game is perfect for family history buffs. Family members can test their knowledge of their family’s history with this trivia game. This game is sure to be both educational and entertaining for all involved.
5 Best Outdoor Reunion Games
If you plan to have fun outdoors, the next reunion games will surely get everyone in the spirit.
- Ask a guest to be the donkey pinata.
- Get others to drench the donkey with water balloons.
- When the donkey is hit, he has to throw some sweets.
- Play until the candy runs out.
Potato sack race
This is a timeless classic that is still a hit at parties. It is fun not only for the participants but the spectators as well.
- Provide sacks to every player
- Have them hop over to the finish line.
- Whoever reaches the finish line first wins.
Another timeless classic that you cannot go wrong with.
- Provide lemons and spoons to participants.
- Have them race
- Whoever drops the lemon is disqualified.
- The one to reach the finish line wins.
You can have hours of fun with this fantastic game, and it is sure to liven up your cookout.
Throw Throw Burrito is an excellent outdoor game for people of all ages. It is fun, easy to learn, and even two people can play it – although more the merrier.
The cards you collect earn points, but you lose points when you get hit by squishy burritos.
Check out this great YouTube video that explains the rules of Throw Throw Burrito.
Bonus outdoor games for family reunions
- Tug of war: This classic game will get everyone involved and laughing. All you need is a rope and a level playing field.
- Capture the flag: This game is perfect for larger groups, as it requires splitting into teams. Each team tries to capture the other team’s flag while protecting their own. It’s a great way to get everyone moving and strategic thinking.
- Volleyball: There’s nothing like a good volleyball game to get the blood flowing. And what better way to get your family reunion started than by having a volleyball tournament?
- Scavenger hunt: This game can be customized to fit any group size or location. Please list items that can be found outdoors and send everyone off to find as many as possible. The first person or team to find all the things wins!
- Horseshoes: Horseshoes is a classic game that people of all ages can enjoy. The object of the game is to throw horseshoes so that they wrap around a metal stake or to get them as close to the stake as possible.
5 Hilarious Family Reunion Games
These games will have everyone laughing from start to finish.
This family-friendly hilarious game is suitable for 3 to 20 players aged eight and over. The objective of the game is to create funny memes. A judge decides the winner of each round.
The game also has newer versions with fresher memes added. You can also create custom memes.
Be warned: this game is pee-your-pants, stomach-cramping, eye-watering funny! So much so that it has even been featured on America’s Funniest Videos, Good Morning America, and Buzzfeed.
Watch Ya Mouth is a hilarious family game where you wear cheek retractors and read-out cards. This is sure to induce laughter as the opposite team tries to interpret your sentences. Worry not: the mouthpieces are FDA certified.
Suitable for kids, teens, and adults, this fun game comes with upside-down goggles that you must wear while completing specific tasks. Suitable for six players and all ages, The UpsideDown Challenge Game comes with 25 challenge cards, but you can even make your own as you go.
Relative Insanity — Hilarious Party Game — From Comedian Jeff Foxworthy
Says Jeff Foxworthy about Relative Insanity: “I created this game with laughter in mind. It was inspired by the insanity of my family and friends!” One player/reader gets to read a line from a card, and the other players must create funny punch lines. The reader will pick the funniest lines, and that player gets the point.
This fun party game is suitable for 4-12 players aged 14+. It is easy to learn, age-appropriate, and sure to make everyone laugh.
Double Ditto – A Hilarious Family Party Guessing Board Game
Double Ditto is an award-winning game; it won 2016’s ‘Game of the Year award. The simple-to-learn game allows a lot of creativity and also enhances quick thinking. It is suitable for 4-20 players aged eight and above. This is the perfect game to bring generations together in non-stop laughs.
How Do you Make a Reunion Fun?
Family reunions need not just be about food. Sure everyone loves a good cookout, but there are several other ways to make reunions fun and entertaining for everyone involved. Here are some ideas other than games to make your family reunion more memorable:
- Dance – Dancing is a great way to get everyone moving. If you choose this idea, please ensure playlists are suitable for all ages. If possible, hire a DJ if you have the budget for it.
- Photo booth – photo booth rentals are an affordable and amusing way to get everyone together. The best part is that the organizers do not have to do much – since most booths come with attendants. You also capture great moments, and your visitors are guaranteed to leave with great memories.
- Treasure hunt – a treasure or scavenger hunt is ideal for engaging adults and kids in a fun and positive way. You can hide everyday objects and have one person call them out. A scavenger hunt can also be organized virtually – get everyone on a video call and have people find the thing within a few seconds.
- Hand out printouts of the family tree – this is an excellent way for kids to learn more about their ancestors. You can also make copies of photo albums of every family member to hand out to your guests.
- Printable gifts – From tote bags and mugs to masks, get your family tree or group photos printed on these fantastic gift items.
Don’t forget to check out my guide on How to Keep Adults Entertained at a Party.
FAQs – Family Reunion Games
How do you make a family reunion special?
Family reunions can be made special with great homemade food, passing photo albums, playing games, and simply talking to each other and catching up on each other’s lives.
What should you not do at a family reunion?
The last thing to do at family reunions is to discuss topics that rehash negativity or bring up tensions. Also, do not force everyone to participate in all activities.
What makes a good family reunion?
A good family reunion offers activities for everyone to enjoy and makes everyone happy and comfortable.
Family reunion games are a great way to deepen the bond with your relatives. There are several ways to make a family reunion special. There are many ideas available, from great food to self-made decorations to playing the above indoor and outdoor games.
We hope this guide helps you plan a memorable family reunion.